BCNF question
c2fungry Offline
Student

BCNF question
small question, does it matter which FD we decompose for BCNF? Also if we are given a bcnf question, is it safe to assume the given FDs are 3NF unless stated otherwise?
2015-08-12 02:37
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
merajisi Offline
Instructor

RE: BCNF question
latter is correct. i do not understand the first question

(2015-08-12 02:37)c2fungry Wrote:  small question, does it matter which FD we decompose for BCNF? Also if we are given a bcnf question, is it safe to assume the given FDs are 3NF unless stated otherwise?
2015-08-12 05:21
c2fungry Offline
Student

I'll refer to the practice question for bcnf, we start with the FD: B->CD. To break up the schema into the relations R1{B,C,D,A,G} and R2{B,E,F,H}.

What I'm trying to ask is that does it matter if we use a different FD? For example, could I use the FD, BF->H to find a different answer that still abides to being BCNF or did we choose B->CD for a specific reason?

(2015-08-12 05:21)merajisi Wrote:  latter is correct. i do not understand the first question

(2015-08-12 02:37)c2fungry Wrote:  small question, does it matter which FD we decompose for BCNF? Also if we are given a bcnf question, is it safe to assume the given FDs are 3NF unless stated otherwise?
2015-08-12 11:45
merajisi Offline
Instructor

Yes you can use a different FD

(2015-08-12 11:45)c2fungry Wrote:  I'll refer to the practice question for bcnf, we start with the FD: B->CD. To break up the schema into the relations R1{B,C,D,A,G} and R2{B,E,F,H}.

What I'm trying to ask is that does it matter if we use a different FD? For example, could I use the FD, BF->H to find a different answer that still abides to being BCNF or did we choose B->CD for a specific reason?

(2015-08-12 05:21)merajisi Wrote:  latter is correct. i do not understand the first question

2015-08-13 10:49

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average